When planning funeral or cremation services in Berkley, MI, part of the decision is to choose a vessel that will house your loved one’s remains. In many situations, the event may have already been planned. Still, in other conditions, this may not be the case, and it’s not uncommon for individuals to make purchases while they’re grieving. The problem with this is that the person might choose something inappropriate for the deceased and later regret the purchase.
Taking the time to research is out a turn or casket is essential to know you have chosen the right one for your budget and your loved one. Today’s focus will be on coffins as they come in many different options, so here is more information.
What is the Purpose?
The purpose of the casket is to create a container to hold the remains of your loved one. It can also provide a way for family and friends to connect with the deceased and see them physically in person before saying their goodbyes. Having an open casket event can be a vital part of the healing process for anyone attending.
With the demand of wanting variety for individuals, there is a large array of different materials available. Caskets are not meant to keep a body preserved indefinitely, but they are intended to honor individual life, and here are some options.
- Venere made from fiberboard
- Bronze or copper
- Laminated made from plywood and covered in hardwood laminate
- Cloth-covered made from pressed plywood
- Steel ranging from 16 to 20 gauge
- Ecofriendly and made from materials that are renewable and talks and free that decompose quickly in the ground
- Solid wood and can include cherry, oak, poplar, and many other varieties. The price will vary depending on what kind of would you choose and any additional features you might add.
There’s also the option to add in features such as:
- Doors that can create a half or whole opening depending on if you have a visitation, viewing, or open-casket funeral
- Various fabrics line the interior and can come in satin, velvet, or polyester. you have specialized embroidery into the material, but the interior casket lid
- Also, consider adding emblems, designs, or even handles to the exterior.
The casket that you create is based on your loved one’s requests and what you feel is appropriate to honor them. The embellishment you decide on can be applied to the interior or the exterior so consider this before placing an order. Ultimately you want to know that you have created a casket that helps to honor your loved one authentically and respectfully.
Wm. Sullivan & Son Funeral Directors is a locally trusted community-focused company that works hard to provide the highest quality compassion and care for all our clients. We offer multiple resources from grief support to preplanning and understand how confusing it can be to schedule services in your time of loss. If you’re looking for cremation services in Berkley, MI, we are here to help, so reach out today and schedule an appointment.