Traditionally when an individual passes away, the loved ones will schedule burial or cremation services in Royal Oak, MI. In either of these situations, there will be a need to hold an event that people can attend to either celebrate or honor the loved one’s memory. The celebration of life is precisely what it sounds like, and here are some suggestions on how to create one.
A celebration of life is meant to highlight the deceased’s story in a more joyous or lighthearted manner. The focus will be on the positive aspects of the individual and how they impacted others day today. The event is intended to be a personalized expression, so things like dancing and festivities around the memory of the loved one can be the main events. In some situations, the family may still want to hold a funeral for specific individuals. Still, there’s always the option of having a more festive event depending on the individual’s personality.
Making a Great Event
- Having a great event will depend on a few factors, so here are some tips for incorporating it into the celebration.
- Showing media during the event.
- Holding a bonfire.
- Creating a community garden mural.
- Sharing a lighthearted eulogy.
- Offering the deceased’s favorite foods or beverages.
- Playing favorite music or games of the deceased.
- Creating a box or capsule that the attendees can contribute memorabilia also.
If you cannot have an event in person, here are some alternative ideas for creating an online event.
- Offering a website for individuals to write memories.
- Having an album of images of the deceased.
- Creating a space to share stories between friends and family.
- Providing a blog that speaks about loss and grief.
- Offering a donating or GoFundMe account for those who want to contribute.
What do you Need to Plan?
One of your first details will be where you are going to hold the event. A celebration of life can be done almost anywhere, including churches, private property, or a favorite park. If it is an outdoor venue, you may want to check with the facilitator to see if you need to rent the space.
Deciding what events are going to take place will be next, and we recommend considering the individual’s personality when planning. You may want a formal event with catering, or a more personal style with a potluck might be appropriate. In either case, you can create an event that will be honorable and help to remember your loved one.
Finding the Right Choice
It is no secret that loss is hard, and there is no time frame for the process of grief. Planning a celebration of life can be an insightful and healing experience for those attending. If you need help in planning cremation services in Royal Oak, MI, you want a locally trusted company that offers the highest quality customer service on the market. Wm. Sullivan & Son Funeral Directors has been in business since 1906, providing exceptional care for our clients. We are here to help, so call us today to get started with all your planning needs.